Hmm, one might wonder why i am posting this at this time. After i have managed to get xampp and openwebmail to work, the networking administrator for University of Cape Coast encouraged me to write this small stuff so that my collegues would also have access it easily. This is actually my first tutorial and i hope it would help alot of people out there. Anyway i choose xampp bcos i wanted a simple functional and easy to setup system with apache, mysql, php and other stuff runing without doing so much. and also openwebmail as a mail client bcos that was what my schoo required.
1. download xampp from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html and install with this command tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.5.4a.tar.gz -C /opt.
2. do cd /opt/lamp to see all the files with the lamp program.
3. all configuration files for the lamp are kept at /opt/lamp/etc including httpd.conf which is the apache webserver configuration. the web files or your website itself is under cd /opt/lamp/htdocs.
3. within the /opt/lamp/etc/httpd.conf with the help of an editor, change the servername and documentroot to meet your needs.
1. download openwebmail which is a mail client from http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/ follow the link on the openwebmail site to configure it.
2 it must be kept in the /opt/lamp/cgi-bin.
3. create an alias within the /opt/lamp/etc/httpd.conf for the openwebmail